The Colegio de San Ignacio de Loyola of Mexico City (1767): a school for women that fought sixteen years to stay out of the Church's hands
A Basque merchants' confraternity in Mexico City spent thirty-five years and its own money building a school for orphan girls and poor widows, and then spent sixteen of them in Madrid and Rome to obtain what it actually wanted: a constitution the clergy could not administer and that could never be turned into a convent. It opened on 9 September 1767 under a Rectora, a Vice-Rectora and a Secretaria elected by ballot. Its founding statute also barred married women and illegitimate daughters.
Why this wins its question: English-language coverage of Las Vizcaínas is a sentence in survey histories - a Basque girls' school in Mexico City, still standing - and the claim that it was the first lay school for women in the Americas, usually made without a citation. This entry gives what that sentence hides. It prints the head of the 1766 constitutions from the college's own documentary appendix, where the purpose is the maintenance and teaching of orphan girls and poor widows and the protection is direct royal protection "con inhibicion de los Tribunales de la Nueva España"; it dates and explains the sixteen-year jurisdictional fight that this was fought for, down to the fourth article of Clement XIII's bull reducing the archbishop to a verbal approval of chaplains; it names the women elected Rectora, Vice-Rectora and Secretaria in the college's first week; and it prints the founder's own threat to burn the building rather than be supervised. Against that it sets the admission rules in full - no married women, no illegitimate daughters, españolas only with Basque preference - flags the 1889 author's softening gloss on "españolas" as his own, dates the free day schools twenty-six years late in 1793, and declines to repeat the first-lay- school claim that neither source makes.
Claims
Every assertion below is bound to registered sources and carries its own confidence. Weight them; do not treat the page as uniformly authoritative.
The founding instrument states the purpose and the protection in one breath, and both are unusual. Its head reads: "Constituciones del Colegio de S. Ignacio de Loyola de México, fundado, y dotado por la Ilustre Congregacion de Ntra. Señora de Aranzazu de la misma Ciudad, para la manutención, y enseñanza de Niñas Huerfanas, y Viudas pobres. Admitido debaxo de la Real immediata proteccion de S. M. con inhibicion de los Tribunales de la Nueva España; y aprobado su Establecimiento, y Constituciones por Real Cedula de 17 de Julio de 1766 con insercion de la Bula del Papa Clemente XIII declaratoria de los puntos pertenecientes a la Jurisdiccion Eclesiastica." The maintenance and teaching of poor girls and widows is the object; direct royal protection with the New Spain tribunals inhibited is the shield.
It was paid for by a trade confraternity of provincials, not by the crown or a bishop. The royal text recites the representation of the Rector and Diputados of the confraternity and Mesa of Nuestra Señora de Aranzazu of Mexico City, "compuesta de los naturales, y originarios del Señorío de Vizcaya, Provincias de Guipuzcoa, y Alaba, y Reyno de Navarra", sited in its own chapel inside the walls of the great convent of San Francisco, which in the year 1732 had resolved to erect, found and build the house. Thirty-five years separate that resolution from the opening.
What the founders were fighting for was jurisdiction, and it took them sixteen years to win it. The 1889 history records that the recognition of the college's exemptions "no fué admitido por la Mitra hasta el mes de Agosto de 1767", and exclaims: "Diez y seis años luchó la Mesa fundadora con la jurisdicción eclesiástica, para lograr independerse de ella!" The fourth of the nine articles of exemption inserted in the bull of Clement XIII reduced the archbishop's role in approving chaplains to an extrajudicial and verbal approval, "pro obtinenda extrajudiciali et verbali approbatione", and archbishop Lorenzana submitted to it.
The founders knew exactly what they were doing and said so in the language of men spending their own money. The history quotes Manuel de Aldaco, the confraternity's rector: "A la Corte y á Roma por todo, y si saliésemos deslucidos, pegarle fuego á lo que nos ha costado nuestro dinero." The threat to burn the building rather than accept a supervision they had not agreed to is reported by an author writing a hundred and twenty years later and inside the institution's own tradition, and it is carried here as what that author prints.
The constitution was drafted so that the character of the house could not be changed afterwards, by anyone. The 1889 reading of the sixth constitution is that not even at the Mesa's own request could the institute cease to be what its founders wanted, "un Colegio y asilo de doncellas y viudas que jamás podría administrar el Clero ni convertirse en Monasterio de Religiosas ó Beatas", and that under the approved pacts "el Monarca se obligó á garantizar la permanencia y duración del Colegio y á no alterar en modo alguno el ser y espíritu que quisieron imprimirle sus fundadores". A refuge for women that neither the clergy could administer nor anybody convert into a nunnery is the whole point of the design, and it is the reason the house has a history distinct from the beaterios around it.
Women held the internal offices from the first week. On 28 August 1767 the chaplains were chosen by secret ballot; three days later the college's own officers were elected - "Dª María Teresa Magaña fué nombrada Rectora; Dª Ana Lozano Zaraquienegui, Vice-Rectora; y Dª Teresa Lejarza, Secretaria" - and the constitutions cited on the same pages give the Rectora a say that neither admission nor departure of a colegiala could override. Governance above them remained the Mesa's, that is, male and mercantile.
The opening is dated and staged in detail. The archbishop appointed Wednesday 9 September 1767 for the blessing of the building; at half past six in the morning the officers of the Mesa and many of the confraternity gathered in the porter's hall, and ten of them were commissioned to go in ten coaches to fetch the first colegialas, who had been kept meanwhile at Belem, la Concepción, Balvanera, Jesús María and other houses. They were twenty-three, belonging to the foundations of José de Gárate and Pedro Negrete Sierra. A certificate of 11 September 1767 in the documentary appendix records that the baptismal papers of the forty named colegialas presented by Aldaco remained in the confraternity's archive.
The admission rules are the cost side and they are severe. Married women could not be admitted on any account, as named beneficiaries or as paying porcionistas; the doncellas and viudas "deberían ser españolas"; the daughters and widows of vascongados and of natives of the four provinces had preference; and "jamás podrían admitirse hijas ilegítimas". In a society organised by castes, a rule admitting only españolas excluded indigenous and casta girls from the endowed places, and a rule excluding illegitimate daughters excluded a large share of the poorest. The 1889 author glosses "españolas" as meaning merely "hijas de súbditos españoles, que lo eran entonces todos los nacidos en dominios de la corona de España"; that gloss is his, it is the reading most favourable to the institution he is writing about, and this object prints it as his rather than as the constitution's.
Twenty-six years after the boarding school opened, free day schools were added, and they were a separate act of benefaction rather than part of the original plan. The public schools or clases externas were conceived by the bachiller Manuel Eduardo Zorrilla, a priest of the archbishopric of Mexico who left his patrimony to charity, were accepted by the Mesa de Aranzazu, and were inaugurated on 21 June 1793, with a reglamento drawn up by Juan Bautista de Arechederreta. The endowed boarding house and the open day school are two different things, and the second arrived a generation late.
By 1889 the ethnic preference had lapsed in practice while remaining on the books, and the scale is documented. The history records that admission then required no special qualification beyond an age between eight and fourteen, and that the places of grace went to "las huérfanas pobres y de mayores méritos, sin distinción de nacionalidad", with preference still given to any descendant of vizcaínos who applied, "que es bien raro". Annual enrolment ran 110 to 150 boarders and 300 to 350 day pupils, with 106 endowed places across San Ignacio, the former Colegio de Belem and Santa María de la Caridad, free books and materials for the poor pupils, and a library of five hundred donated volumes.
What this evidence cannot support should be said. The narrative source is a house history of 1889 written from inside the institution and in admiration of its founders; it is good for dates, sums and quoted documents and weak wherever it interprets. No enrolment register, no account book and no pupil's own words were opened here, nothing establishes what was actually taught in the eighteenth century as against what the reglamento of 1793 prescribed, and the claim sometimes made that this was the first lay school for women in the Americas is not made by either source and is not made here.